Norlan Whisky Glass
[Set of Two Glasses] $48.00
[Set of Two Glasses] $48.00 USD
Combining Design, Science and Ritual for the Perfect Whisky Drinking Experience
Form and Construction
The Norlan Whisky Glass is a transparent double walled vessel, formed with glass blowing technique into two separate two-part molds: one for the inner wall, and one for the outer wall. When the inner and outer glass walls are prepared, the rims are reheated and the inner glass is inserted, at which time the rims are sealed. This creates a hollow body glass with dramatically different inside shape to outside shape.
A unique effect of the double-walled construction is the intensity of color added to spirits in the bowl, which is further carried up into the rim of the glass.
Use & Care
- Sold as a Set of Two Glasses
- Material: Hand-blown borosilicate glass
- Dimensions: 95 mm tall, 82 mm diameter, 63 mm diameter at rim
- Total capacity approx. 6.9 fl. oz. Recommended pour 0.75-1.5 fl. oz.
- Weight: 125 grams (that's very light)
- Concave lip: formed to fit the lower lip of the mouth elegantly
- Faceted base: allows one to hold the glass without getting fingerprints on the bowl
- Packaged in an elegant tube with one microfiber polishing cloth included
Please care for the Norlan Whisky Glass keeping the following in mind:
- Lovingly polish before use.
- The glass was designed with the intention of enjoying whisky neat. Use of ice is not recommended.
- Not to be used with whisky stones as they can damage the inner wall.
- Please hand wash only.
- Do not place in a microwave or oven.
Advantages over existing Glasses
The casual drinker and aficionado alike commonly enjoy whisky or bourbon in an “old- fashioned” tumbler, a wide open-brimmed glass intended for iced cocktails. Many connoisseurs prefer a narrower aperture of the brim, opting for a tasting (or nosing) glass—a stemmed tulip-shaped snifter that concentrates the aromas and allow for inspection of the spirit’s color without marking the glass’ bowl with fingerprints.
We took these two preferences to heart and through an extensive process of analyzing fluid dynamics and flavor transfer, iterative design, and expert feedback, created an entirely new whisky glass.
Through specially developed protrusion forms inside the glass — adapted through studying bio-mimicry — when swirled around the glass the fluid forms a standing wave shape, which increases the surface to air ratio and rate of oxidization. The effect here is that considerably more ethanol evaporates. This resulting increase in volatility allows the whisky to become significantly more expressive. This feature is an invention of the Norlan glass — no other whisky glass will do this for you.
The second main performance feature is the shape of the inner walls, which close as they rise and then flare out again so as not to hit the nose. The height and diameter of the smallest aperture focuses the aromatics to the nose while simultaneously diffusing the ethanol away from the face, fantastically improving the taste of your whisky.